Thursday, October 11, 2007

4 year olds


One of the great things about this job is that not only do I get a chance to organize conferences, play with computer equipment I couldn't even imagine a year ago but also work with age groups that I just never had the opportunity to work with in Canada. In general, four year olds scare the pants off me yet I did voluntarily spend the day with a nursery class giving their teacher a professional development opportunity elsewhere. I must be a saint or a fool.



By the end of the day, as you can imagine, there was nothing left of me but a few drops of sweat, but I learned a lot. When a colleague mentioned in passing that all I did was glorified baby sitting, he obviously had no idea about cognitive development, the importance of play to the imagination or learning styles. As I reflect on the day, unfortunately, I believe I can anticipate the whole educational career of every student in the class. I say unfortunately because without the proper invention, some kids will be doomed to failure.



For example, one of the first things I did during the day was teach them a little lesson on sequencing. We took different shapes like cars, balls and different objects and formed a pattern with them as we put them together. The pattern could have been a plus b or a plus b plus c. The key was to repeat the colour twice or three times in succession. It was either too complex for some students to see the pattern or they were too bright and could not believe the task was simply to repeat the colour and it was so easy. When the teacher's aide explained the task, I really did not fully comprehend until we did it a few times but the boy I worked with simply never got it. He would rather just play with the cars and watch them role along. I was that little boy a lifetime ago and had my mother not intevened and got me a private reading teacher God knows where I would be. ( Probably a salesperson of some kind making oodles of money).



Having said that, school is all about discerning patterns and the sooner children can understand patterning the easier and more successful school will be for them. I also observed the little boy that simply was not willing to play the good little boy game. He daydreamed, wondered around, refused to focus on his work and generally spaced out, yet when I gave him some 'play' time he drew magnificent art of the board for 30 minutes straight. I also remembered reading about giving kids options so when he was walking around during reading time and not sitting on the floor I gave him two options: " Sit down with your legs crossed or sit down and leave your legs straight out" When it worked and he sat down, even I was astounded.



You noticed that these two children were boys. We all know they develop more slowly or differently than girls. There was the girl who was the perfectionist. When she wrote her name or traced letters, she continually rubbed it out and did it again because she was not satisfied. Everyone else did 10 lines for every one of hers. Is perfection a worthy goal?



Others could cut with a scissors without a problem yet some students could not hold a pencil. Early childhood educators deserve the "gold medal" for what they do and the best ones, I believe, have the ability to change lives by doing so much to ensure future success in school. I know I am not up to the task of teaching such little tykes but have the utmost admiration for those that can and do such a great job.

No comments: