Friday, February 1, 2008

Tranquility

As I was leaning over my putt last night at sunset I suddenly stopped for some reason and stepped back. I looked around at the setting sun, the reflection off of the water and the brilliant colours of the flowers surrounding the lake I had such a surreal feeling. These was far more dramatic and spectacular then any photo could do justice , yet it was January 31. Do I ever want to see or feel snow and cold again? I notice when I have to sign documents, which I do every day by the way, I always get the number out right but I can never get the January part. I usually sign September or July. Can’t figure out why?

Yesterday Sylvia went off to India for a few days (doesn’t that sound weird…a few days) and I started my nightly walks again. I went down to Sukhumvit 36, a soi I have not explored before. It is in the middle of the city like my street but yet quite different. I wound my way around streets that apparently went nowhere but was charmed by the tinkling of chimes being gently moved by the breeze, dogs barking behind the gated houses and fantastic apartments. Some Bangkokians obviously live in silence even though it is only a few blocks away from the honking and whistle blowing in front of my apartment. Unfortunately, the street my apartment is on is a cross street between main streets and is therefore quite busy as cars can travel from one main street to another. I assumed all streets were like this in Bangkok but this is obviously not the case and there are probably loads of streets that go nowhere and are therefore very quiet.

After the exploration of this neighbourhood, with its fantastic homes and quiet demeanour, I found a restaurant with a performance of traditional Thai music and dance. I watched that for about 15 minutes. It was absolutely charming and yet in the same neighbourhood of these gorgeous homes. I then passed a massage place where I went in, had my feet washed and was served a drink before the massage and then had a one hour massage with gentle music. All for the princely sum of $6.00

At school yesterday I ran my first staff meeting by handing out chocolates to all of the teachers that did outstanding service to the school so we all had a lot of fun with that. Just another day in Bangkok……Priceless.

Josh, is this short enough?

No comments: