Sunday, April 13, 2008

Songkran-Thai Style


Songkran is the pagan water festival here in Thailand and everyone from the little kids to the farangs seems to be having a good time. As you can see from the pictures, everyone is out of the street in full force; that is, those Thais that are still in town. The taxi drivers love it because no-one is here and they zip around like they probably did in 1960 when there were few cars. Everyone seems to go home to their province, but those remaining are out making the streets flow with water.

I just donned my raincoat and camera and was immediately plastered with talcum powder from the Japanese living in my building. By the time I got to Sukhumvit, I was drenched from the passing trucks filled with 'shooters' of water cannons or little kids on the street who saw their waiting prey.

By the time I got downtown, Nana was hopping. I came home, dried off the camera, and to-night plan to don my bathing suit and tea shirt and find out what is happening on Khao San Road. I don't know who is having a better time, the kids or the parents, and/or the Thais or the farangs.

No comments: