Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Adventure Begins


I am really excited about my new job. For those of you wondering which job I took when I took my leave last June, I decided to work for the Singapore company that has schools all over South East Asia. I am called the Dean and am responsible for curriculum as well as teacher development. It is right up my alley so it should be fun.

Last week I flew to Singapore to see the head office of the company and met the senior staff. We held strategic planning sessions all week and I also had a chance to meet Ministry officials from the Vietnamese Department of Education, lawyers and bankers, Cambridge officials, Singapore teachers and so on.I think my learning curve will be steep this year.

Last night I flew into Bangkok where I will be staying for the week-end before I head to Myanmar for the week. Frankly, I will be doing lots of travelling which Daniel says I will tire of in a big hurry. He might very well be right…we shall see. I did rent an apartment in Bangkok which I will tell you about in my next entry. It is more like a museum or art gallery than apartment.I am absolutely terrified of touching anything!!!

What can I say about Singapore after 10 days? Josh, it is still freezing. I don’t know what it is about Singaporeans, but they love to keep their air conditioning up to the max. I was really cold every time I went into a mall or restaurant. Speaking of restaurants, I can assure you that with my new boss I will be eating well this year. I have had noodles, poached eggs, an American hamburger, fish boiled at the table in our own pot overlooking the Singapore river, Subway, lots of Chinese dishes, to say nothing of our tea breaks which remind me more of a sit down meal than a break. In fact, I think I gained five pounds during the week I was in Singapore. Thankfully my boss is going to Vietnam for a few weeks while I am in Myanmar!!! Not sure my stomach could survive otherwise.

Singapore, although small, is very much like Toronto. As I was sipping tea in the café of our downtown office building and looking around at the buildings and people, I could easily have been on Richmond Street or Adelaide in Toronto. The infrastructure is there, everything works and the people speak English. A gentle way for anyone from North America to experience Asia.

Singapore is also very much like Toronto in its’ multicultural nature. There are Chinese (65% of the population), Malays, Indians, and Eurasians. It is actually written in their passport what nationality they are. The people certainly seem harmonious ( low murder rate, intermarriage, interesting cuisine, strong school system and so on). Actually, very much like Toronto in a way. And, like Toronto, there is a little India, China town ( which I really liked!), Arab street and all the rest. Certainly not assimilation, but perhaps integration at its best like Toronto.

When you look at the pictures, you will see I saw all of the requisite sites…Sentosa Island which is like something from California but without the American pizzaz, a very restful Botannical Garden with the magnificent orchids you see and China town, which I absolutely loved. I am going to Singapore a number of more times so I will no doubt see the night safari at the zoo as well as the butterfly garden which I look forward to.

I am now going to venture out into the Bangkok night for supper and a look around. I will let you know what changed tomorrow.

No comments: