Friday, August 31, 2007

Becoming Thai

I must be becoming Thai. I used to rush home from school, strip off my clothes and jump in the pool. Maybe I am becoming a workaholic or something crazy like that, but I rush home, pull out my books and work for an hour or two on what I am doing next day. By the time I am finished it is a little dark, I go down to the pool, look once or twice and then go back upstairs. It's like probably 28 degrees but I find that too cold for swimming! There isn't even a shock to the body when you go in the pool, nor do you need a towel when you get out but it is too cold for me.

Last night I ate supper at the local street seller. I had my moo guy or whatever it is called....I point and they cook and then sat down at one of the plastic tables and chairs they set up. A Thai fellow told them to get me nam( water). I saw her use the same tin cup she used for everyone and give me tap water. Not wanting to be rude I drank it and I am still alive more than 24 hours later to talk about it.

I also have a swollen gland, nothing to do with the tap water. Like any Thai, I go to a pharmacy and ask her( or him) to prescribe some antiobiotic. She did, but I opted to take vitamin C and water to see if it gets better by itself.

I also look the correct way when crossing the street. Cars and motobikes drive on the opposite side of the street to what we are used to. At the beginning I looked the wrong way but now I run across busy streets instead of using overpasses and always look the correct way ( most of the time anyway). By the way, you have never seen a busy street anywhere in the world like Thailand, I promise you. It is a world class traffic jam 24/7. Police, streetcleaners and anyone else with common sense uses a mask at all times.

Let's see, how else am I becoming Thai? Certainly, I pay as little as possible for anything, I actually went shopping yesterday in a real supermarket and ate something I did not recognize. ( I am going back in a few minutes to take pictures which I hope to post in the next few days)

Now, if I could only learn the language!

1 comment:

walter said...

If you have a dictionary look up the word 'retirement". You 'rush home' to do two hours of preparation....wake up and smell the roses!