Monday, August 20, 2007

Koh Samet-Magical





Going to Koh Samet this week-end was absolutely magical. After the smog and busyness of Bangkok it was amazing getting out of the city. After driving down the Gulf of Thailand for about three hours with a group of teacher friends, we finally arrived at the dock and chartered a small motor boat to take us to Koh Samet. In about 20 minutes we pulled into a bay about 15 feet from shore. For some reason, I didn't know what to do or where we were but following the other 5 intrepid travellers I took off my shoes and waded into the water with our backbacks on our backs and courage in our hearts. Actually, it did not take that much courage considering the water was like a bathtub, the beach was deserted and the sun was shining. We had arrived at Tubtim resort, otherwise known as paradise.


In about three minutes we were shown our cabins, changed into our swimming trunks and down to the beach. I absolutely love to get in to bathtub water and when I get out drip dry in about 5 seconds or less. It was absolutely wonderful. Actually, it tookme about one full day to get into a relaxation mode. My cabin was 10 feet from the beach which certainly helped but after running around for the week it does take some time for your body to slow down. Today was a day off in Thailand because the Thais voted on their constitution yesterday and were given a day off to get back to their homes. After I write this I am going to buy a paper and find out how the vote went. You probably already know.


The island is a natural reserve so it is actually in a very natural setting with no sidewalks or amenities of any kind. The pictures of the manicured bushes etc in picasa that you will see are very atypical. All there is is one beach after another with resorts like we stayed in which was very cheap but very delightful to American style resorts with swimming pools and manicured lawns.


Can't wait to go back. Unfortunately, next week is already booked when I am back in Pattaya at a golf tournament with the flying farangs ( Bangkok ex pat hockey players) who will drink a lot of beer and raise money for various Thailand charities. I just hope I do not embarass them too much as I drink my water when they are drinking their beer.


One thing that is different about teaching in a different country is that you tend to make friends of your colleagues and travel together. Naturally you talk about school, curriculum, educational philosophy etc. I suspect this is a really good thing and helps the school move forward, but the jury is out on that.

No comments: