Monday, November 5, 2007

Kuala Lumpur-Envisioning the Future Conference


I said I would comment on the conference so I would like to be true to my word! Since the conference is for administrators, (which I am apparently), I get a chance to look at things through a different lens. For example, I just attended a workshop on using”tablets” ( computers where you use a digital pen to write and you can import all kinds of neat stuff on it). Every student is getting one in January at my school and instead of worrying about how to program it or how to use it most efficiently, I have to worry about the technical details like leasing or buying, insurance, educating teachers and parents, planning for the future for a new cycle of buying, marketing the plan to parents and so on. There is a whole new dynamic which I have not really thought about before. As a teacher, department head, consultant I could really look at curriculum in a pure and unadulterated way. As Alana would probably say, I have to now act like a grown up.

As an aside, I am learning so much about technology and am much more comfortable with it now then just three months ago. I used a whiteboard, as you might recall , in a parents’ demonstration, given workshops and keynote addresses with powerpoint slides and now will be in charge of the new pilot using computer tablets. Even though the school is smaller in numbers than I am used to with very little in what I would call traditional materials, there is wonderful technology and when it works it is a joy. Certainly I am very comfortable with it and am very anxious to explore more ways of using technology. I guess from a selfish point of view this is great. From the Asian point of view, it is important to look good and anything that improves the image of the school is very important.

I am also learning a lot about Asian students. Apparently they do much better than their North American counterparts in standardized tests. Is that because there is a genetic difference or cultural differences in the way they see education? I think it is the limitation of our standardized tests which only measure lower order thinking. If all we are testing is declarative or functional knowledge, of course the Asians will do better but if we are testing creativity (which we are not) I believe North American kids would do so much better.

I see this everywhere, even on the golf driving range. Typically I see a father with his boy or girl drilling the use of one club with one set swing practicing for hours. I would love to be able to do this, but I practice for five minutes and I am so bored I can’t wait to play. At least my entertainment is to buy supper and watch them practice.

What are the implications for teaching Asian students? This is the challenge I face every day as the curriculum coordinator. If their strength is rote learning, how can I use that to our advantage in teaching higher order thinking and mental development? I have no idea, frankly, but when I do figure it out, with the help of this conference and speaking with colleagues, you will be the first to know.

No comments: