Saturday, November 10, 2007

Sukhumvit Fair


The Sukhumvit Fair, as you can see by the pictures, is a really big deal at my school. It has been the focus of attention for all the faculty, students and staff at both campuses since school started. Money is raised for charity which this year happened to be a home for the blind. Don’t let the picture fool you. There are sighted people on my campus. I’m sure we raised a few million baht for charity.

I did notice a few interesting things. It is amazing how a few “fairy tale” lights can really transform a basketball court into a nightclub but more importantly reminded me why I am finishing my career at a school. The energy of the kids, as they run the fun booths, perform, dance and have fun, is almost palpable. There is nothing equivalent in the university sphere (except maybe graduation). It is just fun to be associated with such an event. We are kind of lucky to be teachers and be associated with kids all the time. One girl was selling her book, “A teen helping teens”. As I watched them dance and sing I could certainly appreciate how much talent they have in so many areas yet teachers cannot seem to realize this when they can’t do their math work. Perhaps, if teachers could just get their heads around the fact that they are dealing with human beings who do have tremendous talents in many areas, it may change their approach to how they teach. ( I can’t imagine this ever happening)

There were differences from Canada, of course. The food that was served was obviously very different from anything we would see in Canada, with the emphasis on Thai and Indian food. Duvali was yesterday and there were a lot of Indian booths. In addition, drinking is absolutely the norm and beer was served throughout the night for anyone who could pay for it. Same gendered couples walked around holding hands, the norm in Asia.

I also noticed lots of middle aged ‘American’ men (who could have been from anywhere in the world) with Thai wives and probably new families. I think this is probably a common phenomenon but it was certainly clear to me here that it is probably a fairly large subculture exists since we are obviously teaching the kids of their mixed marriages. Usually I see the wives bringing the kids to school so it was kind of strange for me seeing the ‘American’ fathers. For some reason, it reminds me of parents’ nights I have attended when I was shocked by parents of kids who did not speak English when their kids spoke so beautifully. I should not have been shocked and by the same token, I guess I should have realized there were ‘mixed’ marriages. It is sort of funny seeing some men my age toting a baby on his shoulders and holding the 5 years old’s hand.

Afterwards, a bunch of teachers took me out to their favourite haunts and as usual I am blown away by how much of Bangkok I do not know. There is just an unending number of people out on the streets at all hours, the music is so loud it can perforate your ear drums and people, as usual, are eating night and day. Can you imagine being on the streets of Toronto at 1 in the morning and being able to buy a t-shirt, eat an outdoor meal and/or be in a pedestrian or car traffic jam?

Today I am planning on visiting Wat Suthat and the Giant Swing. I will tell you about it later. Hopefully I can go golfing to-night with a little swim in between if all goes according to plan!

No comments: