Saturday, January 5, 2008

"Doing Nothing"

Since Sylvia has arrived, life has changed, obviously. I have become domesticated again. As I was lying in bed reading a book this morning (Sunday or Wan a-tit), it occurred to me that I have never done this before. I have not ever given myself one minute of downtime. On a typical Sunday, if I was in Bangkok, I got dressed, picked out an ‘attraction’ of some sort and started my day. By the time I got home, perhaps at 11 or so, I was so exhausted I just went to bed. Never did I give myself the luxury of just doing ‘nothing’

I have also seen about 4 films on CD’s. They cost about $3.00 in the market. I have no idea whether that is a good price or not? We also went to a show with Josh at the cinema and I ate popcorn, just like it was Toronto. Except, unlike Toronto, the theatre was air-conditioned and I nearly froze to death, and the movie was in three dimensions. I should also mention we had to stand for the national anthem. (By the way, the king’s sister died so we are in official mourning for 30 days and last night the caddies were wearing black ribbons and many of the population are wearing black)

We have also gone shopping. I frankly never stepped foot in a mall before, but they are fantastic. Sylvia says you can’t get stores like this in Toronto with all of the big names. Considering the average Thai salary in probably a few thousand dollars a year, I have no idea who is shopping in these stores, but they are loaded with people. I think even Daniel loved these malls.

I actually bought a pair of black shoes. Unlike Toronto, you do not have multiple salespeople. In the store, you might have Echo shoes, so the Echo guy brings out the shoes for you to buy, in the Gucci session the same. Same shoe store but many salespeople. I ended up buying an Echo pair after trying on about 10 different brands of shoes. Now I see how some people can spend their lives shopping. I could have gone from store to store and had the same treatment all over again. When you are in a restaurant, the waitresses that serve a certain brand of beer also wear a specific costume, so the Singha lady always wears a green top, for example.

Sylvia and I also went to the aquarium which is also in a mall. What isn’t? The finest bakeries, the most delicate flowers, the most expensive clothes and electronics and a complete other side of Bangkok I have never seen or even dreamed about.

We are also getting our bodies in order. Yesterday we went to a very modern dental facility and got our teeth checked and cleaned and today I am getting a red thing removed by a dermatologist. Yes, it is Sunday and yes, I said dermatologist. This is medical tourism at its best.
Just got back. Within five minutes I was registered and laying on a table ready for the laser. In about another five minutes the dermatologist walked in and apologized for keeping me waiting. I think I would have a heart attack if I heard a doctor apologize to me in Toronto for keeping me waiting.

It is amazing what you can do with the precious commodity of time-shop, read, sleep in, see movies and do everything else normal people do. Don't know why I waited five months before I became so domesticated. Certainly running around has its attractions but doing 'normal' stuff is also quite entertaining as it turns out.

This commodity of time will end for me tomorrow when school starts and I have to wake up a 6 or before as the school games begin!

No comments: