Thursday, March 6, 2008

A day in the life of....


My morning started with a parent teacher coffee meeting. What was fun and different about it from the Canadian perspective was that coffee was individually served to each parent in a nice cup and saucer ( very civilized) don’t you know and after I spoke my secretary translated what I was saying. After a few minutes we both got into the swing of it with me conveying an idea and then letting her translate. It seemed that I said about 10 words and then she spoke about 50. I thought Thai was much simpler than English so I really do not understand why she had to speak so much, but she did and it was kind of fun. I thought I was in the U.N or somewhere.

Later in the day, we had a staff student volleyball game and it reminded me of Oakwood Collegiate in the 1960’s. The gym was packed with all of our students from kindergarten to grade 12 and they were literally swinging from the raptors. The girls volleyball team came running in to music with banners flying and new uniforms. There was electricity in the air. Once the game began our theatre guy did a play by play commentary on the mike including sideline interviews with the players, interviews with the crowd etc. It was just full of fun and really enjoyed by all.

By the time I got to actually do some work, it was about 3:30. Of course, I realize all the rest of the stuff I had to deal with was also work but it was so much fun it did not seem like work. Kids just energize me, so much so that I had to rest up for my Thai lesson at 7 p.m.. As Yui said, I know a heck of a lot of Thai, but I have also forgotten so much. For some reason, it just does not go in my 61 year old head. Some words I can sort of attach to a concept like 'yak', which is a statute guardian and yak sounds like it but bang means wide and for some reason I cannot attach it to anything so it is hard to remember.

After the lesson, I went for a nice foot massage, will check how Daniel is doing from his trip and then prepare for the staff baseball game tomorrow. All in a day’s work.

Just got home from baseball. We have an enormous field and tons of Americans working at the school. In the morning assembly we played the dance video I helped make a few weeks ago and boy did I look spasdic. Everyone was laughing their heads off at how bad I looked( which I guess is the idea) and kids spent the day coming by my office showing me some of their moves ( or was it my moves as they were making fun of).

After school, as I said ealier, we played baseball and for the first time in 8 months I really felt comfortable. As I was on the field in the sun throwing a ball around with a bunch of Americans and a glove on my hand I could have been anywhere…Chritie Pitts, Humewood Gardens or High Park. It just did not feel like Asia. I even made a catch in centre field.

This week-end we are gong to Jomtien beach to sit on a beach and watch the elephants go by( in a show). Should be fun!

No comments: