Monday, May 12, 2008

Dean for a Week


May 1

If I could write a blog and get it published, this is probably what I would say. Being a big shot is quite a lot of fun. When I arrived in Yangon, a driver and company manager met me. The driver left and the manager, a Myanmar native bought me breakfast/lunch while we waited for the flight to Mandalay. After she made sure my suitcase was properly weighed in and I was safely through, she braved the rain to return to work. I was never left alone for a moment until I was safely removed from one plane and put on another.

At Mandalay, the same thing happened. My driver met me with one of the office managers and I was taken directly to the Mandalay Resort Hotel, a five star property. Once the manager ensured I was comfortable, she left and the owner of the schools came to see me an hour later to share a drink. Whenever I go to a car, the door is always opened and waiting for me and I seem to be whisked away to my next destination. Like the president of the United States, everything seems to be done for me at all times. Lunch is taken care of, drinks are provided and people seem to run and do things when I even casually mention something.

Of course, this might have something to do with the fact that the owner announced both to the staff and at a parents gathering yesterday that I was the new Dean of RV enterprises in charge of all of his academies. Frankly, I feel a little uncomfortable being called a Dean, but hey, it seems to get me stuff and they love having an old white Caucasian fellow walking around the school in a tie.

I am not sure I am ever going to be left alone this week to just meander where I want. The chief administrator wants to take me to her hometown (can’t understand the name) Sunday and tomorrow, Saturday, I am working half the day so that will cut down on my free time. The teachers put in incredible hours here.

As you can see from the pictures, I am right next store to Mandalay Hill, a famous landmark and I am not even sure I will get a chance to walk to the top. We seem to get out of here at 5 or 5:30 and I don’t want to brave the hill in the dark. Can’t wait to see what the week or two holds for me.

No comments: