Wednesday, May 21, 2008

World Class


I keep thinking about what it means to be a world class city and wonder if Bangkok measures up? I remember speaking with a colleague early on who lamented that fact that there really were not any museums and art galleries to speak of in Bangkok. I also remember a conversation with Tim about what it means to be a world class city and he included universities, transportation systems, sports facilities, and cultural institutions and Bangkok certainly has all of these which I can get to later.

I did go to the National Museum the other day and now I know what the colleague was talking about. Like all architecture in Bangkok and Thailand in general, the museum and the area around it are absolutely awesome. In fact, the museum is right by the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Keo so what more needs to be said? I don’t know of anything in the world that is quite so unique as the Grand Palace although others who have been to the Taj Mahal or Versailles might beg to differ.

Having said that, the buildings, statues and shrubbery of the museum are all outstanding, no less than one would expect. However, the inside is not quite what you would expect to see in this world class city. Being a history teacher, I started out in the history building naturally. There were a few plaques at the front talking about the historical record; except, they had obviously made some changes in discoveries and wanted to backdate some facts. Instead of making a new display, they shockingly put a little sticker over the old date using old fashion pen and paper. The displays were also of very poor quality and did nothing to capture the imagination. In fact, some of the students I have taught could have made a more interesting display( and did!)

One of the buildings that did capture my imagination was the display of huge funeral pyres used to transport the ashes of kings and queens. In fact, they were working on one of them as I was there and I presume it is for the ‘pie sou ‘of the king (older sister) who is yet to be buried even though she died over 90 days ago. They were quite awesome but they would not let anyone take pictures inside any of the buildings which is why I only show you the outside of buildings in the pictures. Right next door to the museum is the National Arts Centre. Wow, this is great, I thought. I wandered in only to witness building construction going on. Perhaps one day there might even be performances.

Across the street was the art gallery. After risking my life to get there (crossing about 6 lanes of traffic) and negotiating a Thai price to get in, I was impressed with the building, but there were literally about 10 pieces of art on three magnificent floors. Having said that, there are tons of art galleries all over Bangkok but since I have no interest in art I never go.

I thought about this distinct lack of what we might call culture in the nation’s capital, yet all of the major historical sites have their own fantastic buildings and museums which I have shown you in my pictures. Ayyutya, Sukkotai, were just outstanding, as was Lop Buri. The museums are where they should be, on the actual sites and not in Bangkok. Does Bangkok have everything else Tim mentioned. I certainly think so.

Yesterday I went for another interview…what else is new? There is a science school for the gifted where the best science students from across the country are invited to study and it is associated with Mahidol University, a private university in Bangkok. Bangkok has literally dozens of private as well as public universities. Education is of the highest quality and I am looking forward tomorrow to visiting this special science school. They want me as an international advisor but I am not sure what I can do for them.

I am also invited to Vietnam next week to look at a school where they asked me to be a principal. Life is good. Which job should I take or should I just keep looking? I think looking is probably a lot more fun than working.

No comments: