Saturday, February 21, 2009

The business of golf

In my wildest dreams I could never imagine waking up in the early morning, getting on an airplane, travelling to a different country, being picked up by a driver from my own company and then taken to the most beautiful golf course I have ever seen and all for a game of golf!

I sometimes have to pinch myself to believe this is real. In Asia, before you do business, you must establish a relationship with your potential customers or partners either over a few meals (normally) or some other activity…like a golf game! In the interests of confidentiality, I will not say what country I am in now, but we are in the middle of negotiations to set up private schools in the whole country and are really working on a very big deal with some developers and other partners. I sat at a table this morning when they were discussing millions of dollars, joint-stock ventures, arbitration, amortization payments etc. I almost feel like I am Daniel. One of the partners told me that one of the key components of the deal was that I had to speak and win the confidence of the people around the table. No pressure, really. I speak English, I am white, and I have grey hair, (according to Sylvia anyway). In Canada, at least I have to say something worthwhile to be heard. Here all I have to do is say something.

I said to my boss the other day;“ when is my job going to begin” as we were at a cocktail party mingling with people at the Singapore embassy. This is your job, he said. Sounds good to me. Just waiting for a few minutes before I fly back to Bangkok. If I get in early enough, who knows, maybe I will play golf to-night. I threatened Daniel that he would have to play golf when he got off the plane. I think he assumed I was kidding.

No comments: